In a rush and just want my recommendation? I think the TEMEISI Dog Training Collar is a great choice.
One of the many inevitabilities of sharing life with a dog may be barking. It’s a part of their natural behavior. However, unnatural and prolonged barking can quickly turn into a problem. Incessant barking can be disruptive and peace disturbing, and there have been many reports of neighbor wars over this. Training is the best way to stop dogs barking, but there are times when a humane bark collar may be needed.
In this article, I’m reviewing the following bark collars.
- TEMEISI Dog Training Collar
- TUG Rechargeable Bark Collar
- SparklyPets Dog Bark Collar
- Trulrox Shockless Anti-Bark Collar
- Nest 9 Anti Bark Collar
Does Your Dog Need a Bark Collar?
With the hundreds of dog breeds that exist, each has its personality. Some tend to be more quiet and reserved, while others are more energetic and ‘talkative’. Likewise, some dogs are more obedient than others, and you can quickly teach your dog to stop barking on command..
The whole purpose of bark collars is to break excessive barking habits. It’s essential to determine why your dog is barking so you can better address the issue. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) offers a detailed report you may want to check out on the potential reason for your dog’s barking.
Your hound may become vocal if they want you to play with them. This often occurs when playing ball. They bring the ball back, drop it at your feet, then bark till you’ve thrown it for them. This is just part of the game for them. They’re excited.
But if your dog starts to enter into a state of impulsive barking, you might want to look into buying a bark collar.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Different Types of Bark Collars
When it comes to bark collars, there are a few different types. We’ve provided a brief description of each type of collar, as well as some pros and cons for each.
- Shock Collars: This is probably the most controversial type of bark collar. Many believe shock collars to be a cruel and inhumane way of disciplining a dog. It’s even become illegal in some countries.
- Ultrasonic Collar: These collars detect when a dog is barking and emits a high-pitched sound, which is only perceptible to dogs. Most opt for this over a shock collar since it doesn’t cause pain, and it still effectively cuts back on barking. However, since the dog’s throat’s vibrations trigger the collar, it can also be activated when a dog isn’t barking.
- Spray Collar: These collars are considered more humane than ultrasonic and shock collars. When a dog’s bark is detected, it sprays an unpleasant liquid in their faces — such as citronella or lemon juice. However, some suspect that this can cause certain psychological defects. For example, if faced with a dangerous situation, a dog can refrain from barking out fear or anxiety.
- Static Collar: These collars have also become prone to controversy. Similar to shock collars, static collars emit a slight electric stimulation when a dog’s bark is detected. Fortunately, it allows you to control the severity of the shock.
How to Choose the Right Bark Collar For Your Dog
Now that we’ve gone over the different kinds of bark collars, the next question is how to choose the right one for your dog.
First and foremost, you should consider the breed and size of your dog. If the collar is too loose, it will not work as effectively. If the collar is too tight, you could harm your dog. Here’s a helpful tip for finding the correct size: you should be able to insert your forefinger comfortably in between the collar and your dog’s neck.
Next, you must consider your dog’s sensitivity level. It’s important to remember that the purpose of a bark collar is not to hurt and inflict pain on your dog but to interrupt their pattern of barking.
Some dogs are more fearful than others, so choosing a collar with less vibration or sound would perhaps be a better choice for them.
Are Bark Collars Safe?
According to The Humane Society of the United States, bark collars do not address the root cause of barking and should not be used to do so. They simply help control excessive barking. A dog’s tendency to bark can come from fear or stress. So, keep in mind that a bark collar will not reduce the fear or stress that leads to barking, but rather the barking itself.
Using a bark collar should not be the first line of defense against excessive, unprovoked barking. Training is always a better option, either by you or a behaviorist.
If you find yourself reaching a stalemate in your training, you may want to look into bark collar options.
Bark collars are not a cruel form of punishment. If you want to buy a bark collar, this resource explains how you use your bark collar humanely.
The Top 5 Best Bark Collars For Your Dog
To make your search easier, I’ve narrowed down what I think are the top 5 best bark collars for your dog.
Designed with different vibration modes, the TEMEISI Dog Training Collar is a humane and safe way to help put an end to unnecessary barking. Its lightweight nylon composition makes it comfortable for your dog to wear.
It comes with dual modes and adjustable sensitivity, so depending on your dog’s size and breed, you can adjust the intensity level. And there’s no need to worry about any surrounding noises triggering the collar; It will only activate when it senses vibration in your dog’s throat.
- Fully rechargeable with USB in 2-3 hours
- No false triggering
- Great value
- Reflective tape, which can help you locate your dog at night
- Needs to be regularly resized
- Dog needs to be monitored the first few uses
Designed with an easy-touch surface, the TUG Rechargeable Bark Collar allows you to adjust vibration from up to seven sensitivity levels while being worn and includes a lock feature to avoid any accidental adjustments. Its adjustable strap allows it to be worn comfortably by nearly all dogs.
The smart barking detector helps avoid any false triggering from nearby dogs. To ensure it’s humane use, you can permanently turn the shock response off.
- Very lightweight, making it comfortable to wear
- LED screen shows varying modes and signals low battery
- Easy to clean
- Can be worn both indoors and outdoors
- Cannot be worn for long periods of time
- Only to be worn by dogs over 11 lbs
- Starts beeping at loud noises
- Could have a wider range of sensitivity
Made for small and medium dogs, the SparklyPets Dog Bark Collar is another excellent option to address unnecessary barking. This no-shock bark collar detects the movement of your dog’s vocal cords and initially responds with a warning beeping sound, succeeded by vibrations if the barking continues. It also comes with seven adjustable sensitivity levels.
But that’s not all. Upon purchasing this product, you will receive two anti-bark devices, two adjustable nylon straps, and four plastic covers.
- Easy to use
- Batteries included
- Excellent value
- Works without constant monitoring
- No false triggering from nearby dogs
- Not rechargeable
- Not for large dogs
This shockless bark collar is for no-pain correction with enhanced vibration and tone technology. It’s Smart Chip microprocessor detects barking and automatically increases in intensity the longer barking continues. You can adjust the sensitivity levels, which range from one to five. Designed with lightweight material, dogs of all sizes can comfortably wear this collar — from 6 to 150 lbs! It also comes with a sensitive triggering sensor to avoid any false triggering.
- Rechargeable with USB cable
- Can be worn both indoors and outdoors
- Easy to use with two vibration modes
- Made out of durable plastic
- Takes several hours to charge
- Vibration levels could be more effective
Designed to be a no-pain correction for excessive barking, the Nest 9 Anti Bark Collar is an effective and easy to use option for your pooch. This collar has three training modes (including a no shock mode) with adjustable sensitivity levels ranging from 1 to 7.
Its durable waterproof design allows it to withstand intense weather conditions, making it an excellent option for outdoor dogs. Equipped with a smart triggering sensor, you can say goodbye to any false triggering.
- Fully rechargeable in 30 minutes
- No remote required
- No monitoring necessary
- Effectively works on low vibrations
- Buttons are located on the outside which can be accidentally adjusted
- Does not last long
- Can be activated by the dog scratching their neck
It can be tricky finding the best options for our dogs, especially when it comes to correcting them appropriately. After reviewing various products and determining which one effectively addresses excessive barking, we think the TEMEISI Dog Training Collar is the best choice.
A humane and safe option, it’s no-shock design allows you to train your dog to respond to beeps and vibrations. So you won’t have to worry about causing any pain or injury. This collar specifically addresses the barking itself, avoiding an unintentional increase in fear or stress.
Not only is it a great value and user friendly, but it’s lightweight and waterproof composition enables your hound to play indoors and outdoors with no discomfort.