In a rush and just want my recommendation? I think the Soft Touch Leather Dog Collar is a great choice.
A dog collar shows what type of personality your dog has. It also shows the aesthetic preferences of you as the owner. Leather dog collars provide a certain aesthetic value some owners might like while providing a durable option for long-lasting dog collars.
Lots of collars tout themselves as “the best leather dog collar.” Let’s find out which ones are actually worth your money.
In this article, I’m reviewing the following leather dog collars.
- DAIHAQIKO Leather Dog Collar Genuine Leather Alloy Hardware Double D-Ring 3 Best for Medium Large and Extra Large Dogs
- ADITYNA Leather Dog Collar for Small, Medium and Large Dogs — Heavy Duty Wide Dog Collars with Durable Metal Hardware & Double D-Ring — Unique Name Tag Included
- Soft Touch Collars — Luxury Real Leather Padded Dog Collar
- Warner Cumberland Leather Dog Collar Free Engraved Brass ID tag USA
- Moonpet Soft Padded Real Genuine Leather Dog Collar — Best Full-Grain Heavy Duty Dog Collar — Durable Strong Adjustable for Small Medium Large X-Large Male Female Dogs Walking Running Training
With so many dog collars on the market, you might wonder why you want to choose a leather one. Here are some reasons why you might opt for a leather dog collar.
- Aesthetics. Leather has a timeless look that might suit the personality of some dog owners. Brown leather looks nice, and it could make your dog have a more refined air to him than a simple nylon collar. If you’re a fan of leather already, you might find it worthwhile to splurge on a leather collar for your dog.
- Durability. Leather lasts a long time. You probably know this from personal experience — the leather products you own last for years with a little upkeep. The same is true for a leather dog collar. As long as you care for it correctly, the first leather collar you buy may be the only one you get for your dog.
- Affordability. Leather dog collars may be a bit pricier than nylon, plastic, or other materials, but they end up paying for themselves over time. Dog collars made from cheaper materials tend to break over time.
A collar made from leather will last for years, making them the more affordable option throughout your dog’s life. A sturdy leash is also an essential piece of equipment, for good control of your hound.
How To Find the Right Collar Size
You should have your dog with you in a pet store so you can try on collars. Suitable collar sizes allow you to comfortably slip two fingers underneath the collar without it feeling too tight.
Certain conditions require you to pay more attention to the size of your dog’s collar. These are:
- A growing dog. Puppies grow pretty quickly. A collar you bought a couple of months ago might not fit your dog properly anymore. To avoid discomfort and potentially choking your dog, keep tabs on their size and the fit of the collar.
- Weight gain or weight loss. Dogs experience medical complications forcing them to gain weight the same way humans do. Your dog might get diabetes, for example, which causes it to gain lots of weight. The collar could then become too tight and choke the dog.
Extreme weight loss also causes problems. Loose collars can slip off, and your dog may run away.
Note your dog’s body fat levels. If it experiences extreme weight gain or weight loss, you might have to purchase a new collar.
- Hairy dogs. Dogs with long hair will need special collar considerations. If you groom, say, a Komondor (the dog that looks like a mop), the collar on the shaved dog must be tighter than that on a hairy dog.
How to Care for a Leather Dog Collar
You can’t throw a leather collar in the washer and dryer like you can with other dog collars. You must do the following to properly care for even the best leather dog collar.
- Wash with soap and water. No extreme heat. Use lukewarm water and leather-specific soap if you have it. Then let the collar air dry.
- Use leather conditioners and oils. Wet leather can dry out and start to crack. To avoid that, condition the collar with leather conditioner or oils to keep it supple.
- Frequently moisturize the leather. Do this even if you don’t wash the leather collar often. Moisturizing the leather collar keeps it looking as soft and smooth as the day you first bought it.
Best Leather Dog Collars
Now that you know the intricacies of caring for a leather dog collar, here are some of the best leather dog collars you can get.
DAIHAQIKO Leather Dog Collar Genuine Leather Alloy Hardware Double D-Ring 3 Best for Medium Large and Extra Large Dogs
With its timeless look, the DAIHAQIKO Leather Dog Collar gives your dog not only a pretty collar but one that can withstand 350 lbs of pull power. This collar is great for big dogs or those who aren’t trained well on a leash.
Genuine, 100% leather comprises this collar, as well as a metal alloy buckle and rust-resistant D-ring clip. It fits all sizes of dogs from Corgi onward. However, you should measure your dog’s neck before ordering.
- Made from 100% genuine leather.
- Withstands 350 lbs of pull power
- Rust-resistant metal alloy buckle
- Fits almost all sizes of dogs
- Leather stretches a bit after use
- D-ring feels a little bulky
ADITYNA Leather Dog Collar for Small, Medium and Large Dogs — Heavy Duty Wide Dog Collars with Durable Metal Hardware & Double D-Ring — Unique Name Tag Included
The ADITYNA leather dog collar fits everywhere from small to extra large dogs. The collar withstands a 400 lb pull force, making it strong enough to endure even the most unruly dog.
Handmade, 100% genuine leather comprises this collar. The double buckle and two D-rings ensure a secure fit that’s loose enough to feel comfortable on your dog’s neck.
Overall, the ADITYNYA leather dog collar looks stylish while providing the utility needed for a dog collar.
- Multiple sizes available
- Includes dog tag
- Made from 100% genuine leather
- Withstands 400 lb pull force
- Comes a bit wider than expected
The Soft Touch Leather Dog Collar provides a little extra comfort to your dog’s neck. Each collar comes padded to prevent discomfort from pulling or playing. These collars fit dog neck sizes between 18 and 21 inches.
This leather comes made from superior workmanship. Naturally tanned genuine leather comprises each collar, omitting harsh chemicals or dyes. You also get a lifetime guarantee when purchasing a Soft Touch Leather Collar.
- Made from full-grain naturally tanned genuine leather
- Solid buckle and D-ring construction
- Fits multiple dog sizes
- Multiple colors available
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Comes a bit wide
- Metal loop breaks off for some customers
Want a free engraved brass dog tag? The Warner Cumberland Leather Dog Collar gives it to you. Genuine leather produced in the USA comprises each collar. The dog tag, buckle, and D-ring are made from nickel-plated hardware.
The Warner Cumberland dog collar fits multiple dog neck sizes. There’s a convenient sizing chart to figure out which collar best suits your dog. You will find multiple colors too, ranging from black to red to rich brown.
- Multiple colors
- Different dog sizes
- Free brass dog tag engraving
- Nickel-plated metal construction
- Scratches easily
- Leather feels too thin to some customers
Moonpet Soft Padded Real Genuine Leather Dog Collar — Best Full-Grain Heavy Duty Dog Collar — Durable Strong Adjustable for Small Medium Large X-Large Male Female Dogs Walking Running Training
Last but not least is the Moonpet Soft Padded Leather Dog Collar. Full-grain, heavy-duty leather comprises it. Though made from thick leather, it’s still soft and flexible enough for your dog to feel comfortable wearing it.
The collar suits running, walking, playing, or dog training. The heavy-duty D-ring withstands even the unruliest pullers. The durable stitching ensures the leather bands don’t come undone. The brass hardware resists rusting too. You have multiple two-tone colors to choose from.
The dog collars fit dog necks between 12 to 22 inches. The company recommends measuring your dog’s neck before purchasing. If you don’t like the collar or find a flaw, the company will replace it for free.
- Multiple colors
- Fits a range of dog necks
- Durable stitching
- Made from full-grain, heavy-duty leather
- Prongs holding leather together sometimes come undone.
- Metal tips from the belt loop stick out slightly
Leather dog collars provide a rugged look to your dog, but choosing the best leather dog collar may be difficult.
That’s why I recommend the Soft Touch Leather Dog Collar. It’s made from 100% genuine, full-grain, naturally tanned leather and fits multiple dog sizes. The Soft Touch Leather Dog Collar comes at an affordable price and even has a lifetime guarantee, which is a great bonus.
The Soft Touch Leather Dog Collar ticks all the boxes of the best leather dog collar: aesthetics, durability, and cost.