In a rush and just want my recommendation? I think Nature’s Miracle Advanced Stain and Odor Eliminator is a great choice.
Whether you’ve got an elderly, incontinent dog or a rambunctious, yet-to-be-potty-trained puppy, chances are you’ll end up with a potty accident in the house from time to time.
Here are the best stain and odor removers to keep your house clean and smelling nice, despite your pup’s occasional bladder failure.
In this article, I’m reviewing the following pet stain and odor removers.
- Nature’s Miracle Advanced Stain and Odor Eliminator
- Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator
- Simple Solution Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover
- Woolite Advanced Pet Stain & Odor Remover + Sanitize
- Sunny & Honey’s Pet Stain & Odor Miracle
What to Look for in a Pet Stain and Odor Remover
Not all pet stain and odor removers are made equal. Some stand out from the crowd because of their ingredients and performance. Still, not everyone knows what those ingredients should be or what standards to hold the product to.
Here are two things I find to be the most relevant when shopping for a trustworthy cleaning solution:
- Pet-safe ingredients: This is a no-brainer, but I want to point it out anyway. Too many household cleaners (mainly disinfectants) contain ingredients that are dangerous to your pet’s safety. This includes alcohol, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, and anything with the word “phenol.” Steer clear of any product with these in the ingredients list!
- Cleaning formula: Most pet stain removers will readily showcase the type of formula used to eliminate stains and smells. The best products feature enzymatic formulas that rely on bacterial activity. This is the most natural, effective way to prevent your dog from pooping in the same forbidden spot again and again.
Nature’s Miracle has been a leading brand in supporting pet owners and especially dog owners (including me!) for over 35 years. This Advanced iteration of the powerful cleaning product features a strong enzymatic formula that is specially crafted to get rid of stubborn stains and smells from any “surprises” your pup might leave on your carpet or anywhere else in the house.
The formula depends on active bacteria that produce enzymes as soon as they touch “bio-based” messes.
Since the enzymes begin to break the stain down immediately upon contact and persist until all the bio-components are eliminated, this discourages your pup from coming back and dirtying up the spot again. Just let it sit for 10-15 minutes before blotting to let it do its thing.
This is essential, as dogs will almost always return to the same spot to relieve themselves if their scent sticks around. In fact, American Humane recommends Nature’s Miracle for this very reason, as it helps “refresh” the area despite how difficult that soiling is to clean.
- Enzymatic formula starts breaking down waste material right away
- “Refreshes” a soiled area to prevent the pup from returning there to relieve itself again
- Works on several surface types, including carpet, hardwood (avoid untreated hardwood), tile, and linoleum
- Can clean up old, “set” stains
- The fragrance can be overpowering to those sensitive to scented cleaners
- Old stains need about 24 hours to dry, which is quite a long time for some
Rocco provides an impressively versatile cleaning product in this stain and odor eliminator. This professional strength cleaner is excellent at eliminating stains and lingering scents. Plus, it can get rid of residue that would normally stick around when using other household cleaning solutions.
This formula is sure to get down deep into the stain, thanks to the enzyme-activated stain removal process. The formula’s active bacteria produce enzymes immediately upon contact with biological waste like urine and fecal matter.
These bacteria feed on ammonia crystals (which form due to evaporation and various chemical reactions with the ammonia in your dog’s waste) and organic matter until it’s gone entirely.
The Carpet and Rug Institute granted Rocco & Roxie’s pet waste cleaning solution their Seal of Approval. So, rest assured that this chlorine-free, color-safe formula is safe to use around your dog.
Just make sure to let it sit for 30-60 minutes to allow it to employ its professional-grade cleaning capability fully.
- Very versatile, it can be used on carpet, upholstery, concrete, tile, hardwood, laminate, and even laundry
- Professional-strength enzymatic formula cleans stains and residue deeply and thoroughly
- Carpet and Rug Institute granted the cleaner a Seal of Approval
- Completely eliminates scents, so your dog doesn’t return to the same spot to pee and poo
- The scent can be quite overwhelming
- When tested against a black light, many pet owners found that the cleaner didn’t entirely remove the stains
This cleaner was designed to fight even the toughest pet stains. Simple Solution took their standard formula and hiked up the power by three times to ensure it works through that pesky dog urine.
You’ll delight in the professional strength formula that features pro-bacteria and powerful enzymes. When these two microorganisms work together, they provide effective, detailed cleaning that breaks down stains and odors better than any chlorine- or ammonia-based alternative ever could.
Since these work on a chemical level, rest assured that the scent will be removed just as thoroughly as the visible stain.
To make the cleaning process significantly easier for you, Simple Solution implemented the new patented 3-in-1 multi-functional sprayer. So, you can clean with three different application styles: foam, mist, and stream. This way, you can saturate the soiled area as thoroughly as possible to get the ultimate clean.
The formula will then break every bit of the terrible smell and stain down, neutralizing its chemical structure, all to permanently remove it from your home entirely.
- Comes with a 3-in-1 spray nozzle that administers the formula in foam, mist, or stream form
- Works on a broad range of surfaces, including upholstery, bedding, fabric toys, clothing, and other areas that are generally impervious to water
- 3x stronger than their standard stain and odor removal formula
- Includes professional strength bacteria-based formula that breaks down stains using enzymatic power
- You’ll have to use this alongside many other products and cleaning techniques – not great on its own
- Leaves an unpleasant smell
This cleaner does more than just remove stains and scents. Bissell took it one step further with this formula, as it kills 99.9% of bacteria that accumulate on soft surfaces.
This includes Enterobacter aerogenes, a form of antibiotic-resistant bacteria known to cause widespread outbreaks in humans. It’s responsible for several types of infections affecting the respiratory system, urinary tract, and more.
Woolite Advanced cleaning solution is also effective against Staphylococcus aureus. These microorganisms cause skin infections, pneumonia, and heart and bone infections. So, you must be able to rely on your household cleaning solution to eliminate these pathogens.
Rest assured that this formula will reach down to the stain’s source, removing stubborn stains and deodorizing the soiled site. When used with the bonus Stomp ‘n Go Pet Stain Lifting Pad, you can remove several types of biological hazards, including blood, poop, urine, grease, oil, and vomit.
One great perk that comes with buying Bissell’s Woolite cleaner is the gift of charity. Every Bissell product purchase supports the Bissell Pet Foundation, helping to save homeless pets.
- Kills pathogenic bacteria that could harm your and your pet’s health
- Cleans, deodorizes, and sanitizes the soiled site
- Comes with a Stomp ‘n Go Pet Stain Lifting Pad, increasing the efficiency with which you clean up gross messes
- Every purchase contributes to Bissell Pet Foundation
- Gives off a very strong smell (some say it smells like pee)
- Stains are still visible after cleaning
Unlike chemical-based cleaning solutions, this Sunny & Honey soil remover uses bacteria-produced enzymes to clean up gross messes left by your pup quickly. They boast a pleasant smell, so you don’t have to breathe through your shirt or leave the house altogether after cleaning up your dog’s poop or pee.
Not only does it smell nice, but it’s safe for your household and the environment, too. Since it primarily relies on bacteria to accomplish an incredible cleaning job, this pet stain and odor remover is non-toxic and biodegradable. Whether you’re cleaning indoors or out, you’ll never have to worry about your dog’s health when you have to pick up after it.
This product is also Leaping Bunny Certified. Leaping Bunny is an organization under the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics, operating within the U.S. and Canada. Since Sunny & Honey’s product earned this distinction, you can rest assured that it’s cruelty-free on every level, from the moment it’s produced until you use it at home.
- Uses a bacterial enzymatic formula to fight stains more efficiently
- It’s non-toxic and biodegradable, since it’s not a chemical-based formula
- Leaping Bunny Certified ensures it’s cruelty-free
- Can clean numerous surface types, including carpet, rugs, hardwood, laminate floor, tile, and more
- Many people compare the light mint scent to urine
- Leaves a stain behind after cleaning
Of all the pet stain and odor removers listed above, Nature’s Miracle is by far my favorite. I’ve used this product on so many different surfaces and potty accidents, from poop on the carpet to little wet accidents on the kitchen tiles.
Any of the above would be an excellent choice. Just double-check that the product has pet-safe ingredients and a reliable formula and use it according to the method above (and listed instructions) for the best results.